Historical Pictures of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad



Album 4

Northern California railroad pictures are from past calendars by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society. Become a member!

 

San Francisco and North Pacific #18, 4-6-0, built by Rogers in 1889. Became NWP 101 when roads were consolidated in 1907. Carpenter photo at Ukiah, Ca. 1901. Engineer George Bradley in cab; son Paul Bradley, right.

San Francisco and North Pacific #18, 4-6-0, built by Rogers in 1889. Became NWP 101 when roads were consolidated in 1907. Carpenter photo at Ukiah, Ca. 1901. Engineer George Bradley in cab; son Paul Bradley, right.

 

Scenic route along San Francisco Bay. NWP 4-4-0 No. 6, formerly SF&NP 2, built by Booth in 1870. Backing her train from Point San Quentin toward San Rafael, ca. 1915. At the Point was the ferry landing and also the state penitentiary. Note that the 6-Spot is operating without a backup pilot, which was presumably against the law even then.

Scenic route along San Francisco Bay. NWP 4-4-0 No. 6, formerly SF&NP 2, built by Booth in 1870. Backing her train from Point San Quentin toward San Rafael, ca. 1915. At the Point was the ferry landing and also the state penitentiary. Note that the 6-Spot is operating without a backup pilot, which was presumably against the law even then.

 

The Great Four-Rail Railroad - NWP at San Rafael's 4th St. Station, 1910. Three rails to the left are for narrow-gauge steam and standard-gauge steam and electric. The fourth rail, being stepped on by brave Conductor Orr, is electrified at 600 volts. Others in the photo are Conductor Ragland, Engineer Ingersoll, Brakeman Murbach. Car 510 was former narrow-gauge coach 201; converted in company shops.

The Great Four-Rail Railroad - NWP at San Rafael's 4th St. Station, 1910. Three rails to the left are for narrow-gauge steam and standard-gauge steam and electric. The fourth rail, being stepped on by brave Conductor Orr, is electrified at 600 volts. Others in the photo are Conductor Ragland, Engineer Ingersoll, Brakeman Murbach. Car 510 was former narrow-gauge coach 201; converted in company shops.

 

1927 wreck near Hopland. In left center, down in the gully, can be seen the damaged hulk of NWP 23. Pulling a passenger train, 23 struck a cow on a small trestle over the dirt road. Passenger cars were strewn around and the cleanup has just begun. Here is ten-wheeler 111 in position with a work train.

1911 wreck near Hopland. In left center, down in the gully, can be seen the damaged hulk of NWP 23. Pulling a passenger train, 23 struck a cow on a small trestle over the dirt road. Passenger cars were strewn around and the cleanup has just begun. Here is ten-wheeler 111 in position with a work train.
Dispatch Democrat 11/3/1911 clipping

 

NWP ferry terminal at Sausalito with Steamer "Tamalpais" approaching from San Francisco. Paddlewheels have been reversed to slow momentum into the slip. Steamers "Cazadero" and "Eureka" are tied up to the left, the latter with steam up ready to help in the commute rush later in the day. In a few months, on February 28, 1941, the ferry and electric train service will be abandoned and only an occasional steam switcher will be seen there.

NWP ferry terminal at Sausalito with Steamer "Tamalpais" approaching from San Francisco. Paddlewheels have been reversed to slow momentum into the slip. Steamers "Cazadero" and "Eureka" are tied up to the left, the latter with steam up ready to help in the commute rush later in the day. In a few months, on February 28, 1941, the ferry and electric train service will be abandoned and only an occasional steam switcher will be seen there.

 

San Francisco & North Pacific No. 5 "Santa Rosa" takes water at Fulton, where the Russian River line branched off. The 5-Spot had been born in San Francisco, as indicated by cast lettering on the front of the smoke box. It reads "H J Booth & Co., Builders, S.F. Cal. 1873."

San Francisco & North Pacific No. 5 "Santa Rosa" takes water at Fulton, where the Russian River line branched off. The 5-Spot had been born in San Francisco, as indicated by cast lettering on the front of the smoke box. It reads "H J Booth & Co., Builders, S.F. Cal. 1873."

 

Guerneville, center of the Russian River resort area, featured trains in the center of town, but after 1912 they stopped at this "new" station a block to the west so they could clear the main business section. Ten-wheeler No. 107 switches a boxcar to the team track and will then continue with its freight train "Extra 107" to Duncan Mills and Cazadero.

Guerneville, center of the Russian River resort area, featured trains in the center of town, but after 1912 they stopped at this "new" station a block to the west so they could clear the main business section. Ten-wheeler No. 107 switches a boxcar to the team track and will then continue with its freight train "Extra 107" to Duncan Mills and Cazadero.

 


In This Section

Related Links

 




Related Items

The Alton & Pacific Railroad was a privately owned tourist attraction located on Highway 36 in nearby Alton. It no longer exists.

 

Heralded the "City of Fortuna", this steam locomotive, originally the Hammond Lumber Company Number 16, was once located near the entrance in Rohner Park. It is now being operated as an excursion train in Washington.
More information about this ALCO 2-8-2T.

 

For many years the Pacific Lumber Company used the railroad to move their lumber from the mills to shipping areas. They operated passenger trains as well. Here are some recent pictures of their railroad operations.

 

Three trainmen were killed in January 1953 at the Scotia Bluff when a landslide took their locomotive, the NWP184, into the icy Eel River. (Bill Bish pictures)