Death Visits the Scotia Bluff



Three Trainmen Killed in Landslide

Locomotive Goes Into the River

This memorial is now located at the Depot Museum in Rohner Park in Fortuna.

This memorial is now located at the Fortuna Depot Museum.

Three trainmen were killed in January 1953 when a landslide took their engine into the icy Eel River. A memorial to them was established in Eureka near the Northwestern Pacific railroad station. It was later moved to the Fortuna Depot Museum. The pictures of the salvage attempt were taken by NWP worker Bill Bish and are located in the Museum. Below is the 1953 Times Standard news item about the memorial's dedication.

MEMORIAL FOR TRAINMEN (from the 1953 Eureka Times Standard)

The dedication of a memorial honoring the three Northwestern Pacific trainmen who lost their lives in the Eel river flood at Scotia Bluff last January 17, will be held next Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. The men honored are D. G. Liscom, engineer; T. R. Porter, fireman; and H. J. Aure, brakeman. The memorial will be near the Northwestern Pacific railroad station in Eureka.

The Rev. Bert E. Weeks of Eureka will assist in the dedication and numerous representatives of the railroad labor organizations and also railroad officials will be present.

Taking part in the ceremonies will be the following: E. E. Wahlund, chairman of Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers; R. C. Waggoner, chairman of the brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Engineers; Robert Rowen, chairman of the Order of Railway Conductors; and George McCullom, chairman of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, all of Eureka.

Others to be present for the ceremony are L. E. DuBose, trainmaster; H. R. Rutler, assistant trainmaster; Gerald Fostine, also an assistant trainmaster; G. B. Rhodes, roundhouse foreman; H. E. Jamison, road foreman of engine, also other officials and representatives of the railroad in the office here. Families of the three men honored in the rites will be present also.

The memorial will have mounted on it the bell from engine No. 184 and a memorial plaque bearing the names of the three men.

 

Pictures of the salvage attempt are on the next page. Photos were taken by Bill Bliss, NWP employee.


In This Section

Related Links

 




Related Items

The Alton & Pacific Railroad was a privately owned tourist attraction located on Highway 36 in nearby Alton. It no longer exists.

 

Heralded the "City of Fortuna", this steam locomotive, originally the Hammond Lumber Company Number 16, was once located near the entrance in Rohner Park. It is now being operated as an excursion train in Washington.
More information about this ALCO 2-8-2T.

 

Pictures and information on local railroad depots.